Abayomi Fagbenro, Special Adviser on Security to Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde, has dismissed as false reports circulating on social media claiming that teachers and students abducted during last Friday’s attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area had regained freedom.
The attack, which occurred in the Ahoro-Esinle/Yawota axis of Ogbomoso in Oriire LGA, involved three schools and reportedly left at least two people dead, while about 30 teachers and students were abducted.
Since Wednesday night, several social media posts have claimed that the victims had been released. While some posts asserted that the abductees were freed, others described the reports as misleading or unverified.
Some social media users also questioned the authenticity of the claims, pointing out that no major news organisation had confirmed the development.
Reacting to an inquiry by NGBREAKINGNEWS Metro on Thursday morning, Fagbenro stated that there had been no confirmed release of the abducted victims.
“As of 10:35 am, it’s not true,” he said.
Similarly, the Oyo State Police Public Relations Officer, Olayinka Ayanlade, noted that he was unaware of any release involving the kidnapped teachers and students.
Ayanlade, however, assured that security agencies were intensifying efforts to rescue the victims.
Following the attack, the Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, announced the deployment of additional detectives from the Force Headquarters in Abuja to support the joint security team working to secure the victims’ release.
On Wednesday, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas, also called for a “careful, clinical and timely” operation to rescue the abducted students and teachers.
In addition, the Defence Headquarters disclosed in a statement on Tuesday that troops had established contact with the abductors and were working towards the safe rescue of the victims.
Governor Seyi Makinde had earlier assured residents that efforts were ongoing to secure the release of those abducted.
The gunmen reportedly attacked Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School; and LEA Primary School, Esiele, all located within Oriire Local Government Area.
Makinde said seven students were abducted from Community Grammar School, while 18 children and seven teachers were kidnapped from First Baptist Primary and Nursery School.
The governor also confirmed that one person lost their life during the attack.



