Tension gripped residents of Ekiti State on Friday after authorities of Ayetoro-Iloro High School ordered an emergency closure of the school following reports of suspected bandits sighted near the community.
Students were said to have fled the premises in panic, with viral videos circulating on social media showing them running along major roads and seeking refuge from motorists and residents as fear spread across the area.
The development sparked anxiety among parents, many of whom rushed to the school and surrounding areas in search of their children amid confusion and uncertainty.
Although no attack or abduction had been confirmed as of the time of filing this report, the incident has heightened concerns over the safety of schools, particularly in rural communities.
Residents told PLATFORM TIMES that the panic was triggered by rumours of armed men reportedly seen in nearby bushes, fuelling fears of a possible attack.
In response, the school management was said to have suspended academic activities and asked students to return home immediately as a precautionary measure.
“We cannot continue to live in fear every day. The government must act now by deploying more security personnel to rural communities before something terrible happens,” a concerned resident said.
Another resident called for the establishment of security checkpoints along major roads linking villages in the area, noting that such measures would help deter criminal elements and reassure residents.
Parents were later seen reuniting with their children, while community leaders urged calm and restraint pending official communication from security agencies.
As of Thursday morning, neither the Ekiti State Government nor the police had issued a formal statement confirming the presence of bandits or any security breach in the area.
FOLLOW US
FOR MORE HERE


