Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has confirmed the killing of one of the teachers abducted alongside other victims in Ahoro Dada Community, Oriire Local Government Area of the state, pledging that the government would continue efforts to rescue the remaining abductees.
Makinde disclosed this on Sunday after a security review meeting with his security advisers and service commanders over the abduction of seven teachers and an as-yet-unconfirmed number of pupils.
Confirming the development, the governor said one of the abducted teachers, believed to be a Mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists.
“What we know right now is that seven teachers were abducted. Unfortunately, we received a video this morning indicating that one of the teachers, understood to be the Mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists. Our prayers are with the family,” Makinde said.
READ ALSO: We’ll Continue To Provide Necessary Support To Security Agencies — Makinde
The governor expressed condolences to the family of the deceased teacher and also sympathised with members of the tactical rescue team, including soldiers, Amotekun Corps operatives and local vigilantes, who encountered Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) planted by the abductors during rescue operations.
He stated that the injured operatives were responding positively to treatment and assured that the government would take full responsibility for their medical care.

Makinde said the state government had intensified efforts to secure the release of the remaining victims, stressing that both kinetic and non-kinetic approaches were being deployed to tackle the situation.
“We just finished a review of the security situation in the local government area where the abduction of some teachers and schoolchildren took place.
“First, let me appeal to the affected families that their government is working round the clock to ensure that we tackle this challenge. For our troops and service commanders, we have a few wounded soldiers, hunters and other operatives. They are recovering.
“The government will continue to take responsibility for ensuring that they fully recover and that their medical bills are taken care of,” he said.
The governor appealed for calm among residents, community leaders and religious groups, noting that although tensions were rising, the government remained committed to ensuring the safe return of the abducted victims.
“I want to appeal to all citizens and residents, particularly those in Oriire Local Government and across Oyo State, that we are doing everything within our power to resolve this situation quickly and bring our children back safely. However, we must recognise that this is a difficult and challenging situation,” he added.
Speaking further, Makinde revealed that tactical teams comprising policemen, soldiers, Amotekun operatives, hunters and other non-state actors had already been mobilised to pursue the abductors, though one of the teams suffered a setback after running into IEDs planted by the terrorists.
Despite the challenge, he disclosed that security agencies had recorded some progress, with several suspects arrested in connection with the incident.
“Well, from the information available from the Commissioner of Police, about six individuals have been arrested within the locality. Some of them, we believe, are informants or individuals handling logistics for the terrorists. Also, three persons of interest have been arrested by another security outfit within the state,” the governor said.
Makinde also linked the growing security threat in parts of the South-West to sustained military pressure on terrorists and bandits in the North-West and North-East, which he said was forcing criminal elements to migrate southwards.
“We must appreciate the fact that with the pressure on terrorists and bandits in the North-West and North-East, they will keep moving southwards. The Governor of Kwara State has spoken to me, but the reality is that when pressure is mounted in one area, we must also be prepared here to repel or neutralise any terrorists fleeing those pressure points,” he stated.
The governor assured residents that his administration would continue strengthening the state’s security architecture to protect vulnerable locations, including schools, factories and major routes across the state.
He also promised that the government would provide daily updates on progress made in the ongoing rescue efforts.eration.



