“Patients Are Dying” — UUTH CMD Begs Doctors To Suspend Strike After EFCC Raid On Hospital

The Chief Medical Director of the University of Uyo Teaching Hospital, Prof. Emem Bassey, has appealed to doctors to suspend their ongoing strike and return to work, warning that patients are dying as the crisis triggered by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission’s raid on the hospital deepens.

The Nigerian Medical Association, NMA, in Akwa Ibom State had on May 12 declared an indefinite strike following the incident and announced plans to institute a ₦1 billion lawsuit against the EFCC.

In an emotional statement posted on his Facebook page on Sunday, Bassey described the incident as “painful and regrettable,” saying EFCC operatives stormed the hospital in an attempt to arrest the Deputy Chairman of the Medical Advisory Committee, Dr. Eyo Ekpe, over the authentication of a medical report.

According to him, what began as concern by hospital staff over the attempted arrest quickly degenerated into chaos.

“What began as interest by concerned staff rapidly degenerated into chaos,” he said.

The CMD alleged that some hospital workers were brutalised during the operation, while others sustained injuries after tear gas was discharged within the hospital premises. He also said live bullets were reportedly fired to disperse the crowd.

Bassey disclosed that five staff members, including Ekpe, were arrested during the incident before they were later released following his intervention at the EFCC zonal office in Uyo.

“No hospital should ever become a theatre of violence. No healthcare worker should ever feel unsafe within the walls of a healing institution,” he said.

While acknowledging the anger and grievances of doctors and other health workers, the CMD said the continued strike had left vulnerable patients stranded and denied access to critical care.

He said patients requiring dialysis, intensive care and cancer treatment had been thrown into uncertainty, while pregnant women, newborn babies, children, elderly patients and accident victims continued to suffer.

“Patients requiring dialysis are uncertain where help will come from. Critically ill patients needing intensive care are left vulnerable. Cancer patients awaiting treatment are anxious and helpless,” he said.

“Pregnant women, newborn babies, children, the elderly, and accident victims continue to suffer. Some lives have sadly already been lost.”

Bassey appealed to the doctors to suspend the strike and resume work while negotiations with the authorities continue.

“Suspending the strike does not diminish the legitimacy of your grievances. Returning to work does not mean surrendering your dignity,” he said.

The CMD also disclosed that the Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Pate, had intervened in the matter and received a delegation from the EFCC, which conveyed apologies to the hospital management through him.

According to Bassey, the minister also promised to set up a committee to investigate workplace violence and harassment against healthcare workers and recommend measures to prevent future occurrences.

He further acknowledged the intervention of the Akwa Ibom State Government through the Deputy Governor, Akon Eyakenyi, who convened a meeting involving health unions, hospital management and security agencies.

Bassey said apologies were also conveyed to the hospital management and affected parties during the meeting.

The EFCC had earlier ordered a probe into the controversial operation at the teaching hospital, while denying allegations of arrest and assault during the exercise.

The post “Patients Are Dying” — UUTH CMD Begs Doctors To Suspend Strike After EFCC Raid On Hospital appeared first on TheNigeriaLawyer.