Former Anambra State Governor, Peter Obi, on Tuesday dismissed speculations that former President Goodluck Jonathan could pose a threat to his 2027 presidential ambition.
Obi made the remarks after participating in the presidential screening exercise conducted by the Nigeria Democratic Congress at the party’s national secretariat in Abuja, a process that reportedly lasted more than two hours.
Responding to reports suggesting Jonathan may contest the 2027 presidential election under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, Obi said he was not concerned about who may join the race.
“Actually, I’m not aware of that. But democracy is about people offering themselves for service and being voted for,” he said.
“I’m not in any way going around looking for who and who is contesting. I’m concentrating on how to build a better Nigeria.”
The former presidential candidate said his priorities remain national unity, security, economic recovery and the fight against corruption.
“We have to unite the country because it is not united. Nigeria must be governed according to the constitution, which emphasises federal character and inclusiveness. The country must be secure,” Obi stated.
“We want a Nigeria where mothers no longer fear when their children go to school or work, and where people can travel freely across the country without fear.”
Speaking on the lengthy screening process, Obi described it as “democracy in action,” saying the exercise reflected the party’s commitment to due process and accountability.
“This is democracy in action because the NDC chooses to do things properly. Nigerians deserve to know whether aspirants meet the constitutional requirements and can defend their claims and commitments to building a united, secure and prosperous nation,” he added.
Obi also dismissed claims that he had emerged as the party’s consensus presidential candidate following alleged consultations with party leaders.
“The party has only opened the expression of interest and nomination forms. There is no consensus yet,” he said.
The former governor further lamented the rising levels of poverty and insecurity across the country, saying many Nigerians struggle daily to survive.
“So many Nigerians go to bed not knowing where their next meal will come from. That must change,” he said.
“We must build a country where public wealth is not converted into private wealth. Corruption must be tackled decisively for the benefit of all Nigerians.”
Obi also criticised politicians for focusing more on elections than governance.
“Politicians are too preoccupied with the next election while Nigerians are suffering. That must stop,” he added.
Obi arrived at the NDC national secretariat in Abuja around 6:45pm for the screening exercise amid growing speculation that he remains the frontrunner for the party’s presidential ticket ahead of the 2027 general election.
Dressed in his signature black kaftan and cap, he arrived shortly after the chairman of the screening committee, Sam Egwu, entered the venue.
He was accompanied by Senator Victor Umeh.
The NDC had earlier announced the appointment of Egwu as chairman of its 17-member screening committee for presidential, governorship, senatorial and House of Representatives aspirants.
Other members of the panel include Buba Galadima, Ikeddy Isiguzo, Wole Adedayo, Udenta Udenta and Henry Obaze.


