Former Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has been cleared to contest the presidential primary of the Nigeria Democratic Congress ahead of the 2027 general elections.
The clearance was announced on Wednesday by the Chairman of the party’s National Screening Committee, Sam Egwu, who said Obi satisfied all constitutional, electoral, and internal party requirements.
Egwu disclosed that the screening exercise, which held in Abuja on Tuesday, involved a detailed review of the former Anambra State governor’s credentials, including his academic qualifications, National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) records, and age declarations.
According to him, the committee also subjected Obi to questions bordering on his vision for Nigeria and his preparedness for the nation’s highest office.
“This is to certify that, following the screening of His Excellency Peter Obi by the National Screening Committee of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, and having satisfied ourselves that he has complied with all the requirements of the constitution of the party, the Electoral Act, and the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (1999 as amended), he is hereby cleared to contest in the presidential primaries,” Egwu stated.
Obi, in a statement posted on his verified X handle on Wednesday, confirmed that the exercise lasted over two and a half hours, during which he was thoroughly questioned by members of the committee.
He said, “Yesterday, May 19, in Abuja, I attended the presidential screening organised by our party, which took over two and a half hours. They carefully reviewed all my documents, including my degree certificates, NYSC credentials, and age declarations.
“During the process, I also addressed questions regarding my vision for a new Nigeria and the type of leadership our nation urgently needs right now.”
Obi added that following the exercise, he was issued his nomination form, which he had earlier purchased, and commended the screening committee for what he described as a transparent and credible process.
“I would like to commend the screening committee led by former governor Sam Egwu for their thorough and professional approach. I also appreciate the party leadership for upholding the democratic process,” he said.
FOLLOW US
FOR MORE HERE


