Democratic Republic of the Congo has cancelled a planned three-day World Cup training camp and farewell event in Kinshasa due to the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the eastern part of the country.
The outbreak involves the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, which has reportedly caused more than 130 deaths and nearly 600 suspected cases. The World Health Organization has declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern.
Despite the disruption, DR Congo will still go ahead with scheduled warm-up matches against the Denmark national football team in Liege on June 3 and the Chile national football team in Spain on June 9. Team spokesman Jerry Kalemo confirmed that only the Kinshasa stage of the preparation programme had been cancelled.
“There were three stages of preparation: in Kinshasa to say goodbye to the public, Belgium and Spain with two friendly matches against Denmark in Liege and Chile in Spain, and the third stage from June 11 in Houston, United States. Only one stage was cancelled, the one in Kinshasa,” Kalemo said.
DR Congo’s players and head coach Sébastien Desabre are mostly based abroad, with a large number of the squad playing in France. FIFA said it is closely monitoring the Ebola outbreak and remains in contact with the Congolese football federation to ensure the team receives all necessary medical and security guidance.
DR Congo, appearing at their first World Cup since 1974, will begin their campaign against the Portugal national football team in Houston on June 17 before facing the Colombia national football team and the Uzbekistan national football team in Group K.
NGBREAKINGNEWS.COM
…....

