One of the teachers abducted from Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele, in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, Michael Oyedokun, has been killed by his abductors.
Oyedokun was reportedly beheaded in a disturbing video allegedly released by the kidnappers on Sunday and circulated on Telegram on Monday.
The video showed the teacher tied up and forced to speak before he was gruesomely killed, raising fresh concerns over the safety of the remaining victims still in captivity.
The incident has thrown the community into mourning, with residents, relatives of the victims and local leaders appealing to security agencies and the Oyo State Government to intensify rescue operations before more captives are harmed.
Confirming the killing in a statement on Monday, the Special Adviser on Media to Governor Seyi Makinde, Dr. Suleimon Olanrewaju, said the governor had extended his condolences to the family of the slain teacher.
Olanrewaju said the government would continue to explore both kinetic and non-kinetic approaches to secure the release of the remaining abductees.
According to him, about six suspects linked to the kidnapping have been arrested within the locality, while three other persons of interest were also arrested by another security outfit in the state.
The governor also sympathised with the families of members of the tactical team comprising soldiers, Amotekun Corps and local vigilantes who lost their lives during the rescue operation.
Olanrewaju said the operatives were killed after they ran into Improvised Explosive Devices planted by the abductors. He added that the wounded security personnel were responding to treatment and that the state government would spare no cost in taking care of them.
He appealed to relatives of the victims, religious bodies and other interested parties to exercise patience, assuring them that the government remained committed to rescuing and reuniting the victims with their families.
“So, please, there may not be quick fixes, but we will continue to endeavour to push ourselves to the limit to resolve this quickly,” he said.
“What we know right now is that seven teachers in all were abducted. And, unfortunately, we got a video this morning that one of the teachers, I understand, the mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists.”
Makinde said some progress had been recorded in the operation, noting that arrests had already been made.
“Well, from the information available from the Commissioner of Police, about six individuals have been arrested within the locality,” he said.
“Some of them, we believe, are perhaps informants or people running logistics for the terrorists.
“Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested by another security outfit within the state.”
Gunmen had invaded the school on Friday, May 15, abducting the principal, teachers and several students.
The attack, coming weeks after a failed kidnap attempt that left one traveller dead along the Ibadan-Ijebu road, has renewed concern over worsening insecurity in parts of Oyo State and across the country.
The post “Kidnapped Oyo Teacher Beheaded” — Makinde Confirms Killing, Says Six Suspects Arrested As Rescue Efforts Continue appeared first on TheNigeriaLawyer.
