Makinde Reacts After Killing of Abducted Teacher in Oyo

 

Governor Seyi Makinde has reacted to the killing of a teacher following the abduction of pupils and teachers in schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.

Speaking to journalists on Monday at his residence in Ibadan, Makinde confirmed that seven students were kidnapped from a community secondary school, while 18 pupils and seven teachers were abducted from a primary and nursery school. He also confirmed that one victim had been killed.

He described the situation as difficult and still developing, noting that security operations were ongoing to rescue the remaining victims.

According to him, the state government has set up an operational situation room at the Oyo State Police Command to coordinate rescue efforts and ensure verified updates are released to the public.

Makinde said authorities were ready to engage with the abductors where necessary to secure the safe return of the victims, stressing that the government would not give in to terrorism.

He appealed for responsible reporting, saying the situation involves human lives and remains sensitive.

He also disclosed that surveillance aircraft procured by the state had arrived in Nigeria and were being assembled, adding that they would be operational by the end of June. The aircraft, he said, were intended to improve monitoring of border communities, including areas around Oyo and neighbouring states such as Kwara, as well as the border with the Republic of Benin.

The governor reaffirmed that efforts were ongoing to ensure the safe return of all abducted pupils and teachers, insisting that every possible measure was being taken to secure their release.