Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup despite three-year international hiatus

Brazilian superstar Neymar has been handed a dramatic recall to the country’s World Cup squad, returning to the national team after a near three-year absence.

 

The 34-year-old, Brazil’s all-time leading scorer, returns from a prolonged absence due to a series of injuries that kept him out for much of the qualifying campaign, as the five-time champions pursue a record-extending sixth title.

 

Manager Carlo Ancelotti, who took charge of Brazil’s men’s national team last year, had not previously called up the former Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain player.

 

He told Reuters earlier this month that Neymar’s inclusion would be based on fitness and form, not sentiment.

 

Speaking with journalists at Rio de Janeiro’s Museum on Monday night, Ancelotti said: “We evaluated Neymar throughout the year and noticed that recently he has been playing consistently and has improved his physical condition.”

 

“He has the same role and responsibilities as everyone else, but he is an experienced player. It’s true that in some positions we prioritised experience.”

 

Neymar, who has 79 international goals but has not featured for Brazil since 2023, has faced questions about his fitness and form following an injury-marred spell at Al-Hilal and an underwhelming return to his boyhood club Santos last year.

 

NGBREAKINGNEWS.COM

…....