The Chairman of Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, Alabi Olateju Michael, has disclosed that security operatives are tightening the noose around armed abductors who attacked three schools in the council, expressing optimism that the victims will soon regain freedom.
Alabi said coordinated security operations involving multiple agencies had been ongoing since the abduction of pupils, teachers and a school principal in Ahoro-Esinele community last Friday.
Gunmen had stormed Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele, alongside two nearby primary schools, moving from classroom to classroom and whisking away dozens of victims, including minors, in a brazen daylight attack that has sparked nationwide outrage.
Speaking during a telephone interview on Eagle 102.5 FM, Ilese-Ijebu, on Wednesday, the council boss described the incident as shocking but assured that security operatives had surrounded the kidnappers.
“It is a shocking incident, but efforts are ongoing with security operatives to secure the release of the abductees. They’ve been on ground since Friday and they’ve been surrounded. We are hopeful they will be released soon,” he said.
He, however, revealed that the rescue operation had recorded casualties, with some security personnel injured during early confrontations with the kidnappers.
Alabi attributed the ease of the attack to the difficult terrain of the area, noting that the community is surrounded by forest reserves which provide cover for criminal elements.
According to him, “We live in a farm settlement surrounded by forest reserves, with influx of herders and farmers from different locations. We never anticipated such an incident.”
The chairman added that there had been previous attacks on local vigilantes in neighbouring communities, including Shepeteri and parts of Oke-Ogun, suggesting the presence of armed groups within the axis prior to the school invasion.
Amid rising tension, Alabi dismissed reports of a spillover of insecurity to Ogbomoso and surrounding towns, insisting that schools in the area remain open and safe.
His clarification followed widespread panic on Tuesday after viral videos showed students fleeing classrooms over a suspected attack. The police later explained that the incident was a false alarm triggered by the presence of an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps and two civilians within a school premises.
Authorities warned against the spread of unverified information, stressing that misinformation could worsen anxiety in already tense communities.
On government response, the chairman said top officials of the Oyo State Government had visited affected families, while the Deputy Governor had been deployed to the area to coordinate response efforts.
He noted that the state Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Inclusion had also paid condolence visits to victims’ families, while support was being provided to security personnel engaged in the rescue mission.
“Our governor has sent the deputy governor to the site. They have visited injured soldiers and vigilantes. It is all hands on deck, and we are confident efforts will yield results,” he said.
Providing details of the attack, Alabi said the assailants arrived on motorcycles and later hijacked a vehicle belonging to one of the teachers to transport victims before abandoning and burning it in a remote area.
“They came with motorcycles and forced the victims to trek through difficult terrain after abandoning the vehicle,” he said.
He confirmed that victims include teenagers as well as very young children, with ages ranging from about two years to 16 years.
The chairman further disclosed that the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, had taken direct charge of operations in the area, with heightened deployment across neighbouring communities and forest corridors.
He added that security presence had since been reinforced to prevent further attacks.
