The Chairman of Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, Hon. Alabi Olateju Michael, has said security operatives are closing in on armed abductors behind the recent attack on schools in Esiele community, assuring that efforts to secure the release of abducted pupils, students and teachers are ongoing.
Recall that three schools were attacked simultaneously on Friday morning, May 15, 2026, when armed bandits raided the remote community of Ahoro-Esinele in Oriire Local Government Area. The gunmen reportedly stormed the area on motorcycles and targeted Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele, alongside two nearby primary schools.
The attackers were said to have moved swiftly from classroom to classroom, abducting the principal, teachers and dozens of pupils in what has since triggered a large-scale rescue operation and nationwide concern.
Speaking on Wednesday in an exclusive telephone interview on Eagle 102.5 FM, Ilese-Ijebu, Ogun State, the council chairman described the incident as shocking but insisted that coordinated security operations had been underway since the day of the attack.
“It is a shocking incident but efforts are ongoing with the security operatives to secure the release of the abductees,” he said. “They’ve been on ground since Friday and they’ve been surrounded. We have hope that soon they will be released.”
He acknowledged that the operation has come at a cost, noting that some security personnel sustained casualties during early engagements with the armed group.
According to him, the attackers took advantage of the terrain, which is surrounded by forest reserves and rural settlements.
“You know we live in a farm-located area and we are surrounded by the reserve, so we have different people coming in—herders and farmers from different places, particularly non-Yoruba speaking natives. We can’t be too suspicious, but regardless of that, we never saw it coming,” he said.
Alabi added that the area had previously experienced isolated security incidents, including attacks on local vigilante groups in neighbouring communities.
“Before now, they’ve attacked some local vigilantes in Shepeteri and Oke-Ogun. We know they are there. It’s closely far from us. It came as a shock,” he said.
Amid growing public anxiety, the chairman dismissed reports suggesting that insecurity had spread to neighbouring Ogbomoso, insisting that normal activities, including schooling, remain unaffected there.
On Tuesday, panic swept through schools in Ogbomoso, Ajaawa and neighbouring communities in Oyo State after videos circulating on social media showed students running out of classrooms and raising alarm over a suspected bandit invasion.
The footage triggered widespread fear among residents, amid heightened tension following recent security incidents in parts of the state.
However, the police later clarified that the commotion was not linked to any armed attack. Security authorities explained that the panic was caused by the presence of an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) and two civilians who were sighted within a school premises in the area.
According to the police, the misunderstanding escalated quickly, leading to confusion and mass panic among students and residents before order was restored.
Authorities urged members of the public to disregard unverified reports, warning that the spread of misinformation could heighten tension in already sensitive communities.
“Schools are in session in Ogbomoso regardless of the situation. There’s no attack in Ogbomoso. People are just spreading rumours to cause panic within the land. Oriire is distanced from Ogbomoso,” he said.
Government, security response intensifies
Alabi confirmed that senior state officials have visited affected families and communities as part of ongoing intervention efforts.
He said the Oyo State Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Inclusion, Hon. (Mrs.) Toyin Balogun, had paid condolence visits to families of victims, while senior government officials have continued to engage with residents.
He also disclosed that the Oyo State Deputy Governor, Barr. Abdulraheem Adebayo Lawal, has been deployed to the area alongside security operatives to coordinate response efforts and assess the situation on ground.
“As the chairman of the local government, I have been there. In fact, I just left a meeting with them where we had to go and get stuff for the men in the forest. Our dear governor has sent his deputy to the site. They’ve gone to see the wounded soldiers and vigilantes, so it is all hands on deck. Efforts will yield result,” he said.
Alabi further stated that he personally visited deployed military personnel and reaffirmed government’s commitment to securing the release of all abducted persons.
“I was there with the military personnel and the governor has given his words to have them rescued on time,” he added.
Attack details and victims
Explaining how the attack unfolded, the chairman said the assailants arrived on motorcycles and coordinated their movement across multiple schools before escaping through difficult terrain.
“What we heard was that they came with motorcycles and later took the car of one of the teachers to convey these kidnapped people. They burnt it when they got to a place that was not motorable. They came with motorcycles and then made them walk,” he said.
He confirmed that both pupils and staff were abducted, noting that some of the victims were teenagers, while younger children were also taken.
“The aged students are about 16 and some other kids around 2 years,” he said.
The youngest victim was identified as a two-year-old toddler, while several other pupils are said to be between the ages of 3 and 10.
Security leadership presence on ground
Alabi also disclosed that the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Rilwan Disu, has taken direct charge of operations in the area, with security deployments extended to surrounding communities and forest corridors.
“As I speak to you, the IG is in Oriire and all the axis and neighbouring towns and environs have been guaranteed safety,” he said.
He maintained that although the initial attack caused panic, security forces had since strengthened their presence across vulnerable locations.
“The first attack was unpredicted hence the panic, but there’s nothing to panic about. The security men have been there to ensure nothing of such happens again,” he said.
Casualties and rising tension
The council boss confirmed that three persons were killed during the attack—a motorcycle rider, a teacher, and a mathematics teacher identified as Michael Oyedokun.
He further disclosed that Oyedokun was killed and beheaded while in captivity, an act he said was intended to intimidate advancing security operatives.
The development has triggered widespread outrage and concern across the country, with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu condemning the killing and describing it as barbaric while assuring that ongoing operations would lead to the rescue of all victims.
Schools, security measures and government response
Responding to concerns over school vulnerability, particularly institutions without perimeter fencing, Alabi said government had already initiated reforms before the attack.
He said the Commissioner for Education in Oyo State, Hon. Olusegun Olayiwola, had directed that schools be fenced, alongside plans to clear illegal structures around school environments.
He also noted that earlier directives had been issued for the removal of shops and kiosks close to school premises to improve security visibility.
The chairman added that public calls for increased armed protection in schools were being considered within broader security planning.
Security agencies are yet to officially disclose the exact location of the abductors, but operations are ongoing within forested areas believed to be linked to the Old Oyo National Park.
His remarks align with earlier comments by Professor Wole Alamu, husband of one of the kidnapped principals, who also assured in a separate interview that efforts are ongoing and that the victims would be rescued safely.
