Fresh details have emerged on the abduction of school pupils and the killing of two teachers and an okada rider in Ahoro-Esiele, Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.…....
The Oyo State command of the Nigeria Police Force said at least six suspects had been arrested in connection with the attack.
The suspects, according to the police, are believed to have acted as informants to the abductors before, during and after the incident.
The attack, which occurred last Friday, has continued to raise concern among residents of Ahoro-Esiele and neighbouring communities.
The police said investigators made progress after tracing telephone conversations allegedly exchanged between the suspects and the abductors.
According to the command, the calls contained information believed to have helped the attackers move through routes within the National Park and access hidden locations used as safe havens.
The State Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Olayinka Ayanlade, confirmed the development on Tuesday morning.
“We have six suspects in custody and they are assisting the investigation,” Ayanlade said.
He explained that preliminary findings showed that some of the suspects were in communication with the abductors during and after the operation.
“Our findings showed that some of the suspects were in contact with the abductors through telephone conversations and investigators are analysing those communications as part of efforts to uncover the full network behind the crime,” he stated.
Ayanlade further disclosed that the ongoing investigation had revealed discussions allegedly centred on how the abductors could navigate the National Park without being detected.
He said the suspects allegedly provided information on routes and locations believed to have been used by the criminals as hideouts.
“The conversations contained information on how the abductors could move through the National Park undetected and reach safe locations,” he added.
The police spokesman said investigators were still analysing the intercepted communications to establish the level of involvement of each suspect and identify other members of the network.
The command said the arrests were made during coordinated operations carried out across different locations in the state.
Ayanlade said the operation involved the Nigerian Army, the Nigeria Police Force, the Western Nigeria Security Network, also known as Amotekun, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, and Agro-Rangers.
“The arrests were made possible through intelligence-driven operations carried out by joint security operatives working collaboratively to dismantle the criminal network,” Ayanlade said.
He added that the suspects were currently in police custody and assisting security agencies with further investigations.
The police assured residents that efforts were ongoing to arrest other fleeing members of the syndicate linked to the attack.
Ayanlade said security agencies would not relent until everyone connected to the crime was apprehended.
