Police Dismiss Bandit Attack Rumours In Ogbomoso, Restore Calm

The Oyo State Police Command has dismissed reports of a suspected bandit attack in Ogbomoso and surrounding communities, describing the incident as a false alarm fuelled by misinformation. In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Command said normalcy had been fully restored in Ogbomoso and neighbouring areas, including Ajaawa Town,……

The Oyo State Police Command has dismissed reports of a suspected bandit attack in Ogbomoso and surrounding communities, describing the incident as a false alarm fuelled by misinformation.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Command said normalcy had been fully restored in Ogbomoso and neighbouring areas, including Ajaawa Town, after panic spread over rumours of armed bandits invading the vicinity of Are-Ago High School.

According to the police, the alarm prompted the immediate deployment of surveillance and patrol teams to assess the situation and prevent any breakdown of law and order.

Preliminary findings revealed that the incident stemmed from unverified information circulated among students, who reported seeing unfamiliar individuals behind the school fence.

This triggered concern among staff and students, leading to wider panic across the community.

Further investigation showed that the individuals in question included an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) attached to the Kwara State Command, alongside two civilians.

The group was said to have visited a female acquaintance to celebrate her birthday.

The police added that an altercation between some teachers and the visitors heightened suspicion within the school, while unverified claims quickly spread to neighbouring schools and communities, escalating tension before the facts were established.

The Command emphasised that there was no bandit attack, invasion, or security breach in the affected areas, noting that peace has since been restored and normal academic and commercial activities have resumed.

The Commissioner of Police in Oyo State, Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbemiga, urged residents to remain calm and vigilant, while cooperating with security agencies by providing credible information.

The police also warned against the spread of fake news and unverified security reports, stressing that individuals found disseminating false information capable of inciting panic would be investigated and prosecuted in accordance with the law.

Residents were advised to rely on official sources for security updates and to avoid sharing unconfirmed reports that could disrupt public peace and safety.