Days after US President Donald Trump raised doubts about continuing arms sales to Taiwan, which China claims as its own territory, acting US Navy Secretary Hung Cao said Thursday that the sales would resume when the administration considers it appropriate.
“Right now we’re doing a pause in order to make sure we have the munitions we need for ‘Epic Fury’,” Cao told the US Senate Appropriations Defence Subcommittee, referring to the Trump administration’s name for the Iran operation. “Then the foreign military sales will continue when the administration deems necessary.”
Taiwan’s authorities have seen the reports, “but currently there is no information regarding any adjustments the US will make to this arms sale,” Taiwanese presidential spokesperson Karen Kuo said Friday when asked about Cao’s comments.
China sees Taiwan as a breakaway province to be brought under its control by force if necessary. Like other countries that maintain formal diplomatic ties with Beijing, the US doesn’t recognise Taiwan as a country, but Washington remains the island’s strongest backer and arms supplier.
Trump’s Republican administration authorised a $11 billion weapons package for Taipei in December, but it has yet to move forward. American lawmakers also approved a separate $14 billion arms sale to Taiwan in January, though the deal can’t proceed until Trump formally submits it to US Congress.
In an interview with Fox News on his way back to the United States from last week’s trip to Beijing, Trump said that arms sales to Taiwan are “a very good negotiating chip” in Washington’s dealings with China.
On Wednesday, marking his two years in office, Taiwanese President Lai Ching-te said that if given the chance, he would tell Trump to continue US arms purchases, which Lai called essential for peace.

