A shooting at an Islamic center in San Diego, Californa, that left three victims and two teenage suspects dead is being investigated as a possible hate crime.
The mother of one of the suspects had put in a desperate 911 call reporting a “runaway juvenile” who had taken guns and a car from her home, whom she feared could be suicidal.
As police investigated the boy’s disappearance, they were called to the nearby Islamic Center of San Diego, which includes a mosque and K-3 school, just before noon Monday after receiving a report of shots fired.
Officers arriving at the mosque said they found three adults dead, including a security guard. No children, teachers or staff at the center were harmed in the shooting, Imam Taha Hassane said in a subsequent video.
Cops were then called to a scene a few blocks away in response to further gunfire.
There, they found the two teen suspects, both dead from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds, alongside a weapon used in the attack and a gas canister carrying a Nazi symbol.
Here’s what we know about the suspects and the shooting so far.
Police described the two suspects as males aged 17 and 18.
Officials have not yet formally named the duo but law enforcement sources have told media outlets that the younger of the two was Cain Clark, who attended nearby Madison High School and had been due to graduate this month.
He had been part of the school’s wrestling team and was pictured on Facebook showing off medals he had won in competition.
Clark’s grandfather David told The New York Post: “We’re very sorry for what happened. We know as much as you do. It’s a shock.”
The second attacker has since been identified as Caleb Vazquez.
The mother of one of the suspects had warned police Monday morning in a call around 9:42 a.m. that her son had run away, might be suicidal and had taken her vehicle and several of her weapons, including a 9mm handgun, a shotgun and a mini 14., according to officials.
She told police her son left with a companion and they were both dressed in camouflage, which San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl later said was not typically consistent with individuals intent on suicide.
“After speaking with the mom, [she] began to piece together bits and pieces of information over an extended period of time,” Chief Wahl said.
“The information that she was gathering and conveying to us began to elevate the threat level.”
Police were sent to San Diego’s Fashion Valley Mall after license plate readers suggested the individuals were there.
Officers were speaking with the mother when the shooting outside the mosque was reported around 11:43 a.m.
After the attack, investigators were seen outside a home in San Diego, thought to belong to a relative of at least one of the individuals, NBC San Diego reports.
Local police and federal agents from the FBI and ATF are investigating the case, which has a crime scene spread across multiple locations.
The three victims of the shooting were discovered outside the Islamic Center, while the two suspects were found a few blocks away.
By the time police arrived at the Islamic Center, the gunmen had reportedly already left. Officers got another call about shots fired at a landscape gardner nearby and headed to that location.
On the 3800 block of Hatton Street, police said they found the two suspects dead in their vehicle in the middle of the street.
Investigators are treating the shooting at the mosque, the largest in San Diego County, as a hate crime.
“Because of the Islamic Center location, we are considering this a hate crime until it’s not,” Chief Wahl told reporters.

