The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has strongly condemned the alleged brutal assault on doctors and other healthcare workers at the Emergency Department of the University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan, Oyo State.
In a press statement issued on Monday and signed by its President, Dr. Mohammad Usman Suleiman, NARD described the incident, which occurred on Friday, May 15, 2026, as “barbaric,” “reprehensible,” and an attack not only on affected personnel but on Nigeria’s healthcare system as a whole.
According to the association, the incident followed the death of a patient, identified as Late Opeyemi Ibrahim, after which a relative of the deceased, Sarafa Oyenigba, reportedly became violent and attacked healthcare workers on duty.
NARD said the assault led to the physical attack of Dr. Oladapo Olatunbosun, Senior Registrar in Emergency Medicine, and Dr. Mololuwa Adebayo, Registrar in Emergency Medicine, as well as other hospital staff, including a Deputy Director of Nursing, security personnel, and the Service Manager.
The association further alleged that the attacker stripped some of the medical personnel during the assault, disrupted emergency care services, and issued threats even after being apprehended by security operatives. It also claimed the suspect had earlier engaged in verbal abuse of staff before the escalation.
Condemning the incident, NARD said it views the attack as a direct assault on healthcare delivery in Nigeria and called for urgent action to prevent a recurrence.
The association commended the Association of Resident Doctors (ARD), UCH Ibadan, for what it described as a swift and united response, as well as the hospital management for facilitating the arrest of the suspect and demonstrating zero tolerance for violence against staff.
It expressed full solidarity with the ARD UCH Ibadan and endorsed resolutions taken by its congress, including an ongoing warning strike action, stating that “an injury to one doctor is an injury to all doctors.”
It called on the Nigeria Police Force and other security agencies to ensure the immediate and thorough prosecution of the suspect and any accomplices, warning against any attempt to trivialise or settle the matter informally.
The association also raised concern over what it described as a recurring trend of assaults on healthcare workers across the country, urging authorities to take decisive steps to address the issue and end what it called a “culture of impunity.”
NARD further appealed to the Federal Government, the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, and the Ministry of Interior to strengthen security in health facilities, enforce stricter legal consequences for attacks on healthcare workers, and implement measures to ensure safer working environments.
It warned that failure to address the situation could trigger wider industrial actions by medical professionals nationwide.
The association expressed sympathy with the assaulted doctors and other affected staff, urging them to seek medical and psychological support following the incident.
The post “Assault On Doctors Is Assault On Healthcare” — NARD Condemns Attack On UCH Ibadan Medical Staff After Patient’s Death appeared first on TheNigeriaLawyer.
