Ongoing joint counterterrorism operations by Nigerian troops and the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) in the Northeast gathered more momentum yesterday.…....
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) announced that no fewer than 175 ISIS terrorists have been killed in the latest onslaught against insurgents.
In a statement by the Director of Defence Information, Maj.-Gen. Samaila Uba, the military high command said the coordinated operations, which commenced few days ago, have continued to record significant successes against ISIS and ISWAP elements operating in the region.
According to the DHQ, the latest assessment as of May 19, 2026, showed that 175 ISIS militants had been eliminated from the battlefield through sustained ground and air assaults.
The statement noted that the operations had also led to the destruction of terrorist checkpoints, weapons caches, logistics hubs, military equipment, and financial networks used to sustain insurgent activities.
It further said that several high-profile terrorist commanders were among those killed, including Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, described as one of the most significant ISIS operatives globally.
The statement reads: “The Defence Headquarters wishes to announce major successes in continuing counterterrorism operations in close coordination with the United States Africa Command against ISIS terrorists in Northeast.
“It will be recalled that the joint strikes started few days ago. As of May 19, 2026 (yesterday), assessments indicate that 175 ISIS militants have been eliminated from the battlefield.
“The joint strikes have resulted in the destruction of ISIS checkpoints, weapons caches, logistical hubs, military equipment, and financial networks used to sustain terrorist operations.”
The DHQ explained that al-Minuki played a strategic role in ISIS external operations, coordinating terrorist financing, recruitment, logistics, and attack planning targeting Nigerians and other civilians across the world.
“His death severely disrupts ISIS command structure, operational coordination, and external attack networks,” the military stated.
Other terrorist leaders reportedly killed during the operations include: Abd-al Wahhab (an ISWAP commander responsible for coordinating attacks and propaganda activities); Abu Musa al-Mangawi (a senior ISWAP member); and Abu al-Muthanna al-Muhajir, a senior media production manager and close associate of al-Minuki.
On Monday, the Nigerian military and AFRICOM confirmed the killing of 20 ISIS fighters in the Marte axis of the Northeast during coordinated ground-air operations.
The military said the renewed offensive further demonstrated the resolve of the Armed Forces of Nigeria to sustain pressure on terrorists and deny them safe havens across the country.



