A gunman has opened fire near White House for the second time in one month. The incident occurred shortly after 6:00 pm local time when the suspect reportedly pulled a firearm from a bag and began shooting close to the heavily guarded White House grounds.…....
The shooting caused chaos in the area as police officers, federal agents and National Guard troops sealed off surrounding streets near the White House.
An AFP reporter at the scene said heavily armed security personnel blocked access to parts of downtown Washington following the gunfire.
Several US media outlets identified the suspect as 21-year-old Nasire Best from Maryland. Reports indicated that he had a history of mental health concerns and had previously interacted with Secret Service personnel.
According to Secret Service communications chief Anthony Guglielmi, agents immediately returned fire, killing the suspect during the exchange.
“Secret Service Police returned fire striking the suspect who was transported to an area hospital where he was pronounced deceased. During the shooting one bystander was also struck by gunfire,” Guglielmi said in a statement.
Authorities said no Secret Service officers were injured during the confrontation.
US President Donald Trump was inside the White House at the time of the shooting but was not harmed. Trump was reportedly engaged in meetings relating to negotiations with Iran when the gunfire erupted outside the presidential compound.
In a post on Truth Social early Sunday, Trump praised security operatives for their response.
“Thank you to our great Secret Service and Law Enforcement for the swift and professional action taken this evening against a gunman near the White House, who had a violent history and possible obsession with our Country’s most cherished structure,” he said.
The attack came one month after the White House Correspondents’ Dinner shooting in April, when a gunman allegedly breached a security checkpoint with a shotgun and exchanged fire with Secret Service agents before being apprehended.
The two incidents within a month have intensified pressure on the administration to undertake a broader review of security infrastructure surrounding the White House complex.

