"Hormuz Will Be Opened": Trump Says Deal With Iran "Largely Negotiated"

New Delhi:

US President Donald Trump on Sunday said a peace deal with Iran has been “largely negotiated” after calls with Israel and other allies in the region – potentially paving the way for an end to the three-month-long war. According to Trump, the final details of the deal are being discussed before a formal announcement. LIVE UPDATES

“An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries, as listed,” Trump said in a post on Truth Social, adding that he separately spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu – which went “very well”.

“Separately, I had a call with Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu of Israel, which, likewise, went very well. Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed and will be announced shortly,” he said.

He described it as a “Memorandum of Understanding pertaining to PEACE” that still must be finalised by the United States, Iran, and the other countries that participated in Saturday’s talks.

“At this stage, our focus is on ending the imposed war. Our intention has been to firstly agree on an MoU consisting of 14 clauses. The issues that are being discussed are focused on ending the war (on all fronts, including Lebanon). Among the major topics are the cessation of US maritime attacks, or naval blockade as they themselves call it, and other issues pertaining to the release of Iranian frozen assets,” Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said.

The Hormuz contention

The US President also said that the Strait of Hormuz would be reopened as part of the proposed understanding.

However, Iran rejected Trump’s claim, saying that Tehran would continue to maintain control over Hormuz. According to reports, Iran has agreed only to allow the number of passing ships to return to pre-war levels, but this “in no way means a return to free passage” as it existed before the war.

Nuclear peace deal?

Trump’s “close to peace deal” message did not mention the nuclear programme negotiations – which Iran said have not been discussed yet.

Iran’s Revolutionary Guard (IRGC) called Trump’s post a “propaganda”, adding that no commitment on Tehran’s nuclear programme has been made, Fars news agency reported.

“It is worth mentioning that Trump had previously announced negotiations about Iran’s nuclear programme as one of the main and inseparable conditions of any agreement. However, no commitment has been made by Iran, and the nuclear issue has not been discussed at this stage,” they reportedly said.

Pakistan’s ‘hope’

Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif said he “hopes” to host the next round of US-Iran talks soon and congratulated Trump for his ” extraordinary efforts to pursue peace”.

Asim Munir represented Pakistan in a telephone call with Trump to discuss the US-Iran peace deal among other nations.

“I greatly appreciate his tireless efforts during the entire process. The discussions provided a useful opportunity to exchange views on the current regional situation and how to move the ongoing peace efforts forward to bring lasting peace in the region. Pakistan will continue its peace efforts with utmost sincerity, and we hope to host the next round of talks very soon,” he wrote in a post on X.