The Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Rashidi Adewolu Ladoja, has ordered an immediate halt to the planned demolition of about 186 houses in Isokan Estate Extension, located in the Elebu area of Ibadan, Oyo State.
The monarch stepped into the matter after residents protested the removal of rooftops from several homes ahead of a demolition exercise connected to a disputed court ruling over land ownership.
Oba Ladoja also instructed affected homeowners to restore the damaged rooftops while efforts are being made to peacefully resolve the land dispute.
The directive was issued during a stakeholders’ meeting held on Tuesday at the monarch’s residence in Bodija, Ibadan.
Residents of Isokan Estate Extension had earlier visited the Olubadan’s palace on Sunday to complain that rooftops were removed between Thursday and Friday as part of preparations for a large-scale demolition.
The residents alleged that the action followed a judgment by an Ibadan High Court said to have favoured Mogaji Taofeek Abiola Olopade, popularly known as Mogaji Oloyin, over ownership of about 31 acres of land in the area.
Speaking during the meeting, Oba Ladoja ordered all demolition activities to stop immediately and directed independent surveyors to conduct fresh boundary markings under the supervision of the Oyo State Ministry of Lands.
According to the monarch, the exercise would help determine the rightful owners of the disputed land and identify any trespassers before further action is taken.
He also warned suspected land grabbers to stay away from the disputed property until proper verification of ownership claims is completed.
The Olubadan further praised the Oyo State Commissioner of Police, Mr Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbenga, for deploying security operatives to the community and helping to prevent violence.
During the meeting, Mogaji Oloyin insisted that the land belonged to his family through inheritance. He maintained that he possessed a valid court judgment and survey documents supporting his claim.
He also stated that attempts were made to engage the affected residents in dialogue before enforcement activities began.
However, spokesperson for the Isokan community, Mr Isiaq Olatunji, said residents had been living in fear following the removal of rooftops and the demolition of some fences.
He added that nearby communities such as Alausa, Aromokun and Oluyedun, which were allegedly not included in the court judgment, could also be affected if the dispute continues.
Olatunji appealed to the monarch to intervene, warning that many residents risk being displaced unfairly.
Stakeholders at the meeting expressed concern that more than 400 houses could eventually be affected if the crisis remains unresolved.
The latest development comes months after the Olubadan inaugurated a five-member committee to tackle land grabbing and related offences in Ibadan. The committee later recommended stricter legal measures and faster resolution of land disputes across the city.



