‘On the borderline’: Trump’s warns Tehran as Iran reviews new US proposal

2 min readMay 21, 2026 02:43 PM IST

Iran, on Thursday (May 21), said that it has received the US proposal and was reviewing it, as President Donald Trump said that the talks between Washington and Tehran are “on the borderline”.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei, according to Iranian state-run agency Nour News, said, “We have received US views and are reviewing them.”

Trump had earlier assured the reporters that the negotiations between the warring nations were in their final stages and issued a warning that the United States was ready to act quickly if Tehran fails to give “100 per cent good answers”.

“It’s right on the borderline… believe me. If we don’t get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We are ready to go. We have to get the right answers. It would have to be complete 100 per cent good answers, and if we do, we save a lot of time, energy and lives,” he said while responding to a reporter’s question on Iran.

Trump, Netanyahu hold tense phone call on Iran

Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a tense phone call over the future of the Iran conflict on Sunday, as Washington explored diplomatic options instead of the resumption of strikes.

Following the telephonic conversation, Netanyahu’s “hair was on fire”, US media outlet Axios reported, citing a source.

The Israeli prime minister, according to CNN, wanted to resume the strikes to degrade the Islamic regime’s military capabilities. He told the US president that delaying the attacks was a mistake, and that he should continue as planned.

Story continues below this ad

Trump, reacting to his conversation with the Israeli PM, said that Netanyahu will follow his lead on Iran.

“Netanyahu will do whatever I want him to do (on Iran), he is a great guy who is not treated well in Israel,” he said.

The Express Global Desk at indianexpress.com which delivers authoritative, verified, and context-driven coverage of key international developments shaping global politics, policy, and migration trends. The desk focuses on stories with direct relevance for Indian and global audiences, combining breaking news with in-depth explainers and analysis.

A major focus area of the desk is US immigration and visa policy, including developments related to student visas, work permits, permanent residency pathways, executive actions, and court rulings. The Global Desk also closely tracks Canada’s immigration, visa, and study policies, covering changes to study permits, post-study work options, permanent residence programmes, and regulatory updates affecting migrants and international students.

All reporting from the Global Desk adheres to The Indian Express’ editorial standards, relying on official data, government notifications, court documents, and on-record sources. The desk prioritises clarity, accuracy, and accountability, ensuring readers can navigate complex global systems with confidence.

Core Team

The Express Global Desk is led by a team of experienced journalists and editors with deep expertise in international affairs and migration policy:

Aniruddha Dhar – Senior Assistant Editor with extensive experience in global affairs, international politics, and editorial leadership.

Nischai Vats – Deputy Copy Editor specialising in US politics, US visa and immigration policy, and policy-driven international coverage.

Mashkoora Khan – Sub-editor focusing on global developments, with a strong emphasis on Canada visa, immigration, and study-related policy coverage. … Read More

Stay updated with the latest – Click here to follow us on Instagram

© IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd