Police dismiss bandit attack rumour in Oyo communities

The Oyo State Police Command says normalcy has been restored in Ogbomoso and adjoining communities following a false alarm alleging the presence of suspected bandits in the area.

This was contained in a statement issued on Tuesday by the command’s spokesperson, DSP Ayanlade Olayinka.

According to the Command, “Earlier today, Monday 19th May, 2026, panic spread across parts of Ogbomoso and neighbouring communities, including Ajaawa Town, following rumours alleging that armed bandits had attacked the area and invaded the vicinity of Are-Ago High School, Ogbomoso.”

Olayinka said, “Considering the fear and apprehension generated by the report, the Command immediately deployed surveillance and patrol teams to the scene to ascertain the true situation and prevent any breakdown of law and order.

“Upon arrival at the location, operatives met with the school principal, Mrs. Akanbi Ruth, who explained that the alarm originated from information allegedly circulated among some students who claimed that certain unfamiliar individuals had been sighted behind the school fence.

“This naturally raised suspicion among some teachers and students, prompting immediate concern within the school environment.”

The PPRO said preliminary investigations, however, revealed that the individuals involved were an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) attached to the Kwara State Command, Ilorin, and two civilians found in a Toyota Venza SUV.

He said the individuals explained that they had visited a female acquaintance in celebration of her birthday.

He added that relevant NSCDC authorities in Ogbomoso were contacted to verify the identity and status of the officer.

“It was further observed that during the interaction, an altercation reportedly occurred between some teachers and the visitors, which inadvertently heightened suspicion within the school premises.

“Consequently, some students began spreading unverified claims to neighbouring schools and surrounding communities, thereby escalating panic and tension across parts of Ogbomoso and Ajaawa Town before the actual facts of the incident were established,” the statement stated.

Olayinka, however, said that there was no bandit attack, invasion, or any security breach in the affected areas.

“The area remains peaceful, while normal academic, commercial, and social activities have since resumed,” he said.

NGBREAKINGNEWS Online reports that the development follows Friday’s bandits’ attack on three schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, where about 30 students and teachers were kidnapped, while two persons were killed.

The attack, which occurred on May 16, saw armed bandits storm the community and abduct staff, students, and pupils from three schools; Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School, and L.A. Primary School.

A viral video on Monday showed one of the teachers held hostage being beheaded by the abductors, sparking outrage and renewed rescue vows from state and federal governments.

The command warned against the spread of fake news and unverified security reports, noting that such actions could cause panic and disrupt public peace.

It added that individuals found deliberately spreading false information would be investigated and prosecuted.

The Commissioner of Police, Oyo State Command, CP Abimbola Olugbemiga, urged residents to remain calm, vigilant, and law-abiding, while cooperating with security agencies.