Former Anambra State Governor, Peter Obi has provided fresh details about the presidential screening conducted by the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) on Tuesday, May 19.
Obi described the NDC screening committee’s process as thorough and professional.
In a statement issued after the exercise, he revealed that the process, which took place at the party’s National Secretariat in Abuja, lasted more than two and a half hours.
According to the 2023 Labour Party’s presidential candidate, the screening committee meticulously examined his credentials, including his degree certificates, National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) documents, and age declarations.
“They carefully reviewed all my documents,” Obi stated.
He also noted that beyond the verification of process, the screening included discussions on national issues.
Obi said he entertained questions about his vision for a “new Nigeria” and the kind of leadership required to address the country’s current challenges.
At the end of the process, the former governor said he was cleared to contest and was issued the presidential nomination form which he had earlier paid for.
He further commended the screening committee, chaired by former governor Sam Egwu.
In addition, Obi appreciated the leadership of the NDC for upholding democratic norms during the exercise.
“I would like to commend the screening committee, led by former governor Sam Egwu, for their thorough and professional approach. Additionally, I appreciate our party’s leadership for upholding the democratic process,” he said.


