The family said they were alarmed that the former governor was taken into SSS custody instead of returning him to the ICPC as ordered by the court.
Family members of former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, on Monday, protested at the headquarters of the State Security Service (SSS) in Abuja over his continued detention and alleged breach of court orders.
They were joined by the senator representing Kaduna Central, Lawal Adamu, and other supporters who demanded the immediate return of Mr El-Rufai to the custody of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).
The family said they were alarmed that the former governor was taken into SSS custody instead of returning him to the ICPC as ordered by the court.
They said two subsisting court orders from the High Court of Kaduna State required that he be remanded in ICPC custody.
Mr El-Rufai’s wife, Asiya El-Rufai, who spoke to journalists outside the SSS facility, said the family lived under constant fear and surveillance.
“We now live in constant fear. Every day we get a threat. DSS (SSS) is coming to raid your house, ICPC is coming to raid your house, police are coming to raid your house. You are being followed. Our phones are tapped,” said Mrs El-Rufai.
She said Mr El-Rufai appeared before Judge Joyce AbdulMalik of the Federal High Court, who granted bail.
According to her, during the break, Mr El-Rufai was taken to the SSS facility, a move he resisted.
“He said to them, ‘I am not going to step down because there are two court orders that the Kaduna court gave that I should be remanded in ICPC. Why are you bringing me here?’ He said, ‘I am not a furniture to be moved,’” Mrs El-Rufai said.
She said Mr El-Rufai was later returned to ICPC custody but was again taken to the SSS after the afternoon session of the court.
As of the time she spoke, she said Mr El-Rufai had refused to step out of the vehicle on the SSS premises.
“He told them that if you want to take me inside DSS custody, you will have to physically force me into doing this, because you had an agreement,” Mrs El-Rufai, the former governor’s first wife, said. “‘When Justice Abdulmalik said I should go to DSS in the first instance, we told her that there are subsisting orders. And she said, let DSS and ICPC go and decide who will keep him.” She said representatives of both agencies decided he should be taken to ICPC custody. “ What has changed?” she said.
Mrs El-Rufai also said the former governor had been in custody for 91 days and was being denied access to his personal doctors, despite a court order by Judge Aikawa of the Kaduna State High Court granting him access to lawyers and physicians.
She said the ICPC’s medical arrangements were also not followed.
“When you see a doctor and you run tests, you are expected to see the doctor back so that he explains what the problem is. He was denied access to the doctor because in their own explanation, they said Malam was not aware that the doctor was coming. I asked Malam. Malam said nobody told him,” she said.
When asked what the family wanted, she said, “El-Rufai’s immediate return to ICPC custody in line with the existing court orders, restoration of his access to personal physicians, and an end to what they described as psychological torment.”
In addition, Mr El-Rufai’s son and member of the House of Representatives, Bello El-Rufai, said the matter was politically motivated.
“Who keeps a person for 91 days? Why were the terms of the bail so stringent that it is practically impossible for anybody to meet? Why do you have to say that Kaduna State Council of Chiefs will have to give an attestation? Why are we saying that it has to be a government staff (member) of level 17, with a house in Asokoro or Maitama? Which civil servant has N100 million?” he asked.
He also accused the ICPC of issuing false statements and said he would petition his colleagues in the House of Representatives.
Similarly, Senator Lawal Adamu called for Mr El-Rufai’s immediate release on self-recognition bail.
He said El-Rufai flew in from Cairo to submit himself to the authorities and should not remain in custody.
The Director General of the El-Rufai Support Group Association, Uche Dialla, said the handling of the case amounted to psychological torture.
He said repeated transfers between agencies and court appearances violated international human rights standards.
However, the ICPC Deputy Director and Head of Media and Public Communications, Okor Odey, denied claims that Mr El-Rufai was being held by the SSS.
Speaking with PREMIUM TIMES at about 7:40 p.m. on Monday, Mr Oddy said that as of that time, the former governor remained in ICPC custody.
“What I know is that as of about 30 minutes ago when I left the office, he is in ICPC custody,” he said.
Mr Odey also said Mr El-Rufai had repeatedly expressed preference to remain in ICPC custody.
He, however, said he was unaware of claims that the former governor was temporarily taken to the SSS facility during the court break.
PREMIUM TIMES earlier reported that during proceedings at the Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday, Judge Joyce AbdulMalik granted El-Rufai bail in the sum of N100 million.
The judge also granted an application seeking protection of prosecution witnesses from public disclosure for security reasons.

