JUST IN: Desmond Elliot Officially Withdraws From The Lagos State House Of Assembly APC Primaries For Surulere Constituency I Over Alleged Intimidation

Lagos State House of Assembly member Desmond Elliot has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for Surulere Constituency I, citing alleged intimidation and denial of access to his supporters.

Elliot announced his decision on Wednesday, May 20, 2026, at the Paddington Mini Stadium along Western Avenue, the venue for the party’s primary. The three-term lawmaker said he had repeatedly appealed to electoral officials to allow his supporters into the polling area, but his requests were ignored.

“In all zones, they’ve been intimidating and stopping us. I want to officially announce my withdrawal from this particular race. This is my ward. If you go outside, those are my people outside,” Elliot said. He added that several supporters were barred from accessing the venue despite continuous appeals.

The actor-turned-politician said he was stepping down to prevent a breakdown of law and order. “No election is worth the loss of lives,” he told party members before leaving the venue with supporters who staged a peaceful protest. He wished other contestants well and urged APC leadership to ensure a transparent and fair primary process across Lagos.

Elliot had been seeking a fourth term in the Assembly, having represented Surulere Constituency I since 2015. Ahead of the primaries, he alleged political victimisation, including the withdrawal of his security aides and the dismissal of local government officials who supported him.

The withdrawal follows weeks of tension in Surulere APC. Party stakeholders had reportedly pressured Elliot to step down for Barakat Odunuga-Bakare, a former Special Adviser on Housing to Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu. Elliot refused, saying he was not asked to step down by his leader, Chief of Staff to the President Femi Gbajabiamila….See More