A man has died after a shark attack off the north-east coast of Australia, the second fatal incident in the country in as many weeks, with beaches in the area closed as authorities assess safety conditions.
Emergency services were called to Hull River Heads boat ramp near Tully on the Cassowary Coast, in Queensland, just before noon on Sunday after reports that a 39-year-old had been attacked while swimming at Kennedy Shoal, a shallow reef used for recreational fishing and diving lying about 45 kilometres off the coast.
The man was retrieved from the water in a critical condition but died shortly after being met by an ambulance.
The type of shark involved has not been confirmed, though bull sharks and tiger sharks are known to be prevalent along the Great Barrier Reef. Queensland Police said a report would be prepared for the coroner on the “sudden and non-suspicious” death, and did not release the victim’s identity.
The attack comes a week after Steven Mattaboni, 38, was killed while spearfishing near Perth in Western Australia. Mattaboni was bitten on his legs by a 4-metre white shark on 16 May while on the water surface about 80 metres from shore and 20 metres from his boat near Rottnest Island, a popular holiday destination.
He had travelled to the island with three friends from Perth’s northern suburbs.
Paramedics and police performed CPR after he was brought ashore but were unable to revive him.
Western Australia’s police minister Reece Whitby paid tribute to Mattaboni and those who tried to save him. “My heart and thoughts go out to the man’s family, friends and loved ones,” Mr Whitby told the ABC.
“I want to acknowledge the diver’s friends who played a critical role in doing the best they could to bring him back to shore.”
Shark attacks in Australian waters are more common than in many other parts of the world, though they are rarely fatal. On average, about 20 attacks are reported in Australia each year, of which fewer than three prove deadly, according to conservationists.
More than 1,300 incidents have been recorded in the country since 1791, of which more than 350 were fatal, and 24 have occurred since 2020, according to the Taronga Conservation Society.
Dozens of beaches along Australia’s east coast, including in Sydney, were closed in January after four attacks in two days, with heavy rain creating murky water that reduced visibility for both swimmers and sharks.


