- A tense moment erupted during a fuel talks press briefing between Energy CS Opiyo Wandayi and matatu sector representatives
- The nationwide matatu strike was triggered by rising fuel prices announced by EPRA for the new month
- A matatu owners’ representative openly challenged CS Wandayi, insisting that the strike was still on while dismissing some of the CS’s remarks
Search option is now available at TUKO! Feel free to search the content on topics/people you enjoy reading about in the top right corner 😉
A dramatic scene unfolded during a press briefing conducted by Energy Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi and representatives of matatu owners on Monday, May 1.
Source: Youtube
The briefing, held at Transcom House, followed the nationwide matatu sector strike over the high fuel prices recently announced by the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA).
After Wandayi delivered his statement, one of the matatu sector representatives boldly stood up against him and rejected some of the remarks made by the CS during the briefing, insisting that the strike was still on.
He publicly dismissed some of Wandayi’s statements, noting that no agreement had been reached regarding their proposed fuel price adjustments.

Read also
No deal as matatu owners declare strike is still after talks with govt collapse
Search option is now available at TUKO! Feel free to search the content on topics/people you enjoy reading about in the top right corner 😉
What did CS Wandayi say during fuel talks?
The CS stated that the government’s intention was to reduce the price gap between diesel and petrol in order to curb fuel adulteration.
“To eliminate the risk of fuel adulteration caused by this huge disparity, we are going to bridge the gap between the prices of diesel and petrol. The price of diesel will be reduced, while kerosene prices will be increased to stabilise the pricing structure,” he said.
Why did matatu owners’ representative clash with CS Wandayi?
Immediately after the CS finished speaking, murmurs could be heard from the matatu sector representatives standing just behind him.
One of them boldly stepped forward, saying they had not reached any agreement concerning their proposed fuel reduction rates.
“We have not agreed to anything. They gave us 30, according to what they are going to discuss with EPRA, and we had stated 35 up to 30, that was the communication. We respect everyone here; we did not come to set anybody up. The strike is still on,” he said.

Read also
Fuel Prices: Awkward moment as matatu owners disown CS Wandayi’s statement in Joint Presser
As a result, the meeting that had initially been intended to stop the matatu strike ended in disarray, with many Kenyans online praising the representative for being fearless, honest, and firm.
Kenyans praise matatu sector representative
Many Kenyans online praised the matatu representative for his courage, firmness, and willingness to confront government officials directly.
Senior Kamau Plumbing:
“This guy has made me happy, man. Huyu ni gitungati mwenyewe.”
Baba Jery:
“Aluta Continua. Very humble man, he used to be my neighbour.”
Ngugi Isaac:
“Meet the first Kenyan to confront a Cabinet Secretary head-on, face-to-face.”
Jamlick Muthuri:
“We still have good people in this country. It must have been very embarrassing — he probably thought he was going to meet touts.”
Source: NGBREAKINGNEWS



