Uganda Health Ministry Denies Knowledge of US-Funded Ebola Treatment Centres

The Ugandan Ministry of Health has distanced itself from reports about the establishment of Ebola treatment centres in the country, saying it was not involved in the process and does not know where the facilities may have been set up. Read Also US  Raises $13Million in Emergency Aid for Ebola……

The Ugandan Ministry of Health has distanced itself from reports about the establishment of Ebola treatment centres in the country, saying it was not involved in the process and does not know where the facilities may have been set up.

In a statement posted on its official X account on Wednesday, the ministry said it has not been engaged on the establishment of the treatment centres referred to and was therefore not aware of where they may have been set up within the country.

Uganda health ministry said, “Regarding #Uganda, the Ministry of Health has not been engaged on the establishment of the treatment centres referred to here, and we are therefore not aware of where they may have been set up within the country. We continue to affirm that Uganda has so far registered only two imported Ebola cases: one fatality and one patient currently responding well to treatment under close medical care. There are no local infections, and the country remains safe.”

The clarification followed a post by the United States Foreign Assistance agency, which announced that the US was funding the establishment of up to 50 treatment clinics in Ebola-affected regions of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda through UNOCHA.

According to the US agency, the clinics are intended to strengthen outbreak containment efforts.

The US agency said, “In support of the #Ebola outbreak response, the United States is funding the establishment of up to 50 treatment clinics in Ebola-affected regions of the DRC and Uganda, primarily through #UNOCHA. These rapidly deployed clinics are intended to strengthen outbreak containment.”

The Ugandan ministry, however, reiterated that the country has so far recorded only two imported Ebola cases, one fatality, and one patient currently responding to treatment under close medical care.

It added that there are currently no local Ebola infections in Uganda and assured the public that the situation remains safe.

TVC News on Tuesday reports that the United States of America said that it has raised about $13 million within 48 hours in emergency funding to tackle the outbreak of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda.

The US Department of State said that funding would bolster each country’s own response, supporting surveillance, laboratory capacity, risk communication, safe burials, entry and exit screening, and clinical case management.