EFCC Apologises To UUTH Doctor, NMA Over Uyo Hospital Raid, Orders Full Probe

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has tendered an official apology to a senior medical practitioner at the University of Uyo Teaching Hospital (UUTH), Professor Eyo Ekpe, and the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) over the controversial conduct of its operatives during a recent enforcement operation at the hospital.

The development followed mounting public outrage and threats of industrial action by medical professionals in Akwa Ibom State over the 12 May incident, which allegedly involved the assault of healthcare workers during an EFCC operation at the teaching hospital in Uyo.

In a statement issued on Monday, the commission said its Chairman, Ola Olukoyede, had reviewed a preliminary report on the incident and directed that an apology be formally conveyed to Prof. Ekpe, who serves as Deputy Chairman of the Medical Advisory Committee at UUTH, as well as to the leadership and members of the NMA.

According to the EFCC, the apology forms part of immediate administrative steps taken after internal assessment of the circumstances surrounding the operation, which sparked widespread condemnation from medical practitioners and civil society groups.

The commission said Olukoyede expressed regret over the incident and the discomfort caused to hospital staff, patients, and the wider public, stressing that the agency did not intend to undermine healthcare delivery in the course of its anti-corruption duties.

He further ordered a comprehensive investigation into the conduct of the operatives involved, insisting that any officer found to have acted outside the established rules of engagement would face disciplinary measures in line with internal procedures.

The EFCC also pledged to engage relevant stakeholders, including professional bodies in the health sector, to prevent a recurrence of similar confrontations in the future. It maintained, however, that the incident would not weaken its statutory mandate to investigate and prosecute economic and financial crimes across the country.

The apology comes amid rising tension in Akwa Ibom’s health sector, where doctors had issued a two-week ultimatum demanding a written apology and compensation for victims of the alleged raid, warning of a possible resumption of strike action if their demands were not met.

The Uyo hospital incident had earlier triggered widespread criticism after reports emerged alleging that EFCC operatives disrupted medical services and physically confronted staff during the operation.

With the latest directive from the commission’s leadership, attention now shifts to the outcome of the internal probe and whether further disciplinary actions will follow in the coming days.

FOLLOW US

FOR MORE HERE