ICPC Denies Restricting El-Rufai’s Family Access, Dismisses Claims As Misleading

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission on Monday refuted allegations that it denied family members access to former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, describing the claims as false and misleading.

The commission said the controversy stemmed from a viral video in which a woman identified as El-Rufai’s wife alleged that she was denied entry into the facility to deliver food to her husband, who is currently in custody.

Addressing journalists in Abuja, the ICPC’s spokesperson, John Odey, said the woman arrived the facility at about 7:00 p.m., 30 minutes after the official visiting hours had ended.

He explained that the commission operates a strict access control protocol, which allows visits only between 9:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., stressing that the policy applies uniformly to all detainees regardless of status.

Odey noted that the protocol had been in place long before the current leadership of the commission and was consistent with both Nigerian laws and international best practices.

According to him, records showed that the former governor’s wife was granted access on multiple occasions earlier on the same day, delivering food to her husband at least three times between 10:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.

He added that the visits were properly documented in the commission’s visitor register and could be independently verified.

“The same individual admitted in the video that she had earlier delivered breakfast and lunch, which contradicts her claim that the commission denied her husband food,” Odey said.

The ICPC further dismissed allegations that it violated any court order, insisting that all procedures guiding access to detainees were strictly followed.

It also clarified that while authorised visitors, including legal representatives and medical personnel, were granted access, such visits must comply with established security procedures, including proper identification and prior confirmation.

Odey revealed that El-Rufai had recently been allowed to visit his dentist and eye specialist under official supervision, in line with standard practice.

He added that given the high-profile status of the former governor, the commission had a duty to enforce enhanced security measures to ensure his safety and that of other detainees.

The anti-graft agency also raised concerns over what it described as an attempt to dramatise the situation, noting that the visit in question involved media presence and occurred outside approved visiting hours.

Reaffirming its commitment to the rule of law, the ICPC said it would not compromise its procedures or be swayed by what it termed “misleading narratives.”

The commission maintained that its regulations were applied equally to all persons in custody, irrespective of their political or social standing.

FOLLOW US

FOR MORE HERE