The family of former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, along with his supporters and political associates, protested on Monday at the headquarters of the Department of State Services (DSS) over his continued detention.
This came as the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) dismissed claims that El-Rufai was unwell or being denied medical attention.
The agency said he is in stable condition and has access to healthcare in line with its rules, contrary to claims made by El-Rufai’s family in a video circulating online.
In the video, one of El-Rufai’s wives alleged that officials stopped her from entering the facility around 7 p.m. on Friday when she tried to bring him food.
She also claimed the commission ignored a court order that allowed family members to see him and accused them of denying him food.
El-Rufai has been in ICPC custody since February 18, 2026, after briefly being held by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
During the protest, family members, Kaduna Central senator Lawal Usman, and other supporters accused security agencies of moving El-Rufai against existing court orders, which they said required that he remain in ICPC custody.
Speaking outside the DSS office, El-Rufai’s second wife, Aisha, said the family has been living in fear, claiming they are constantly monitored and threatened by security agencies
She said, “We now live in constant fear. Every day we get a threat — DSS, ICPC and police are coming to raid your house. You are being followed. Our phones are tapped.”
She explained that earlier that day, El-Rufai appeared before Justice Joyce AbdulMalik at the Federal High Court, where he was granted bail and the case was adjourned until 1 p.m.
According to her, during a break in proceedings, he was taken briefly to a DSS facility, which he resisted, insisting that court orders required he remain with the ICPC.
“I remember him saying, ‘I am not going to step down because there are two court orders that the Kaduna court gave that I should be remanded in ICPC. Why are you bringing me here?’ He said that he is not a piece of furniture to be moved,” she recounted.
She also wondered why he was taken to the DSS instead of being returned to ICPC custody after the court adjourned the matter.
At the time she spoke, Aisha said he had refused to step out of the vehicle that brought him to the DSS office.
She added that arrangements for his medical care had broken down, claiming he was unable to follow up with a doctor after undergoing tests because he was reportedly denied access.
Aisha said, “When a doctor runs tests, you are expected to go back so that he can explain what the problem is. He was denied access to the doctor because, in their explanation, they said Malam was not aware that the doctor was coming.”
The family called for his immediate return to ICPC custody in line with court orders, access to his personal doctors, and an end to what they described as psychological pressure.
A family representative, Adamu, argued that he should be released on self-recognition bail, saying the situation was politically driven.
“We are calling for his immediate release. He deserves to be granted bail based on self-recognition. What is happening is psychological harassment because of politics,” Adamu said.
El-Rufai’s son, Bello, also criticised the bail conditions, saying they were too strict and difficult to meet.
“Who keeps a person for 91 days, and why were the terms of the bail so stringent that it is practically impossible for anybody to meet?
“Why do you have to say that Kaduna State Council of Chiefs will have to give an attestation and that it has to be a government staff of level 17, with a house in Asokoro or Maitama?
“Which civil servant has N100m? What are we trying to do — are we trying to make people come out so that they can be targeted too?” he quizzed.
Dr Uche Dialla, the Director-General of the El-Rufai Support Group Association, described the situation as psychological torture, saying frequent movement between agencies while under court orders amounts to undue pressure.
He said, “Torture is not just physical torture. When you take a man psychologically, he is in the custody of ICPC, goes to court, and immediately moves to another environment — that is psychological torture.
“His bag and toothbrush are with ICPC. El-Rufai is not there by choice. He was confined there by the orders of a court. Anything other than taking him back there would be deliberately torturing him.”
The African Democratic Congress (ADC) also raised concerns, alleging that El-Rufai’s health was worsening and that he had been denied proper care and welfare in detention.
Reacting to the allegations, the ICPC denied that the case is politically motivated, insisting it is simply carrying out its legal duties.
The agency also rejected claims that El-Rufai has been denied food or medical care, stating that he has been allowed to see doctors of his choice and receive family visits during approved hours.
Speaking at a media briefing in Abuja, ICPC spokesperson John Odey said El-Rufai remains in custody because he has not yet met his bail conditions.
“The court granted him bail, and he is yet to meet his bail conditions. If he meets his bail conditions today, I can assure you that the ICPC will let him go. So we are not keeping him,” Odey said.
Odey stressed that the case is already before the court and should not be viewed as political.
“The ICPC does not play politics. The law setting up the ICPC is very clear. The reason we have El-Rufai with us is that there were allegations made against him, charges referred against him.
“He has been arraigned in court. He is undergoing trial, so he is a defendant in those matters. It is strictly a judicial matter. It has nothing to do with politics.’
He maintained that El-Rufai is in good health and that the allegations in the viral video are false and misleading.
“El-Rufai is in the custody of the ICPC, and he is in good health,” Odey said.
He explained that visits are only allowed between 9 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., noting that the same family member who made the allegation had earlier delivered meals to El-Rufai that day.
“The woman herself admitted in the same video that she had delivered both breakfast and lunch to her husband earlier that day, thereby contradicting the allegation that the ICPC denied him access to food,” Odey stated.
On the issue of medical care, the commission said it only required proper identification and confirmation before allowing access to doctors, which it described as a standard security measure.
The ICPC added that El-Rufai had recently been taken to see both a dentist and an eye specialist.
“He has been allowed to go see the doctors of his choice. Before this incident, he went twice last week, and the ICPC took him there. He went and came back twice, and he has access to our in-house medical facility,” Odey said.
The ICPC also said that, as a high-profile detainee, additional security precautions are necessary for his safety and that of others.
It accused some individuals of exaggerating the situation to pressure the agency into relaxing its procedures.
“The ICPC remains focused on its mandate and will not compromise its security protocols under any circumstances,” the commission added.
KanyiDaily recalls that a Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday granted Nasir El-Rufai bail of N100 million.


