Olubadan halts demolition of 186 Ibadan houses

The Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Rashidi Adewolu Ladoja, has halted the planned demolition of about 186 houses at Isokan Estate Extension in the Elebu area of Ibadan, Oyo State.

The monarch intervened following protests by affected residents over the removal of rooftops from several houses ahead of a planned demolition linked to a disputed court judgment.

Oba Ladoja also directed homeowners whose rooftops were removed to immediately restore them while stakeholders work toward resolving the dispute.

The intervention came during a stakeholders’ meeting held at the monarch’s Bodija residence on Tuesday.

Residents of Isokan Estate Extension had earlier stormed the Olubadan’s residence on Sunday, alleging that rooftops were removed between Thursday and Friday in preparation for large-scale demolition.

The residents claimed the exercise followed an Ibadan High Court judgment said to have favoured Mogaji Taofeek Abiola Olopade, popularly known as Mogaji Oloyin, over ownership of about 31 acres of land in the area.

Addressing stakeholders during the meeting, Ladoja ordered an immediate suspension of all demolition activities and directed that independent surveyors carry out fresh ground markings with the supervision of the Oyo State Ministry of Lands.

He said: “By doing so, we would be able to know who is trespassing on whose land and determine the next line of action.”

The monarch also warned alleged land grabbers against operating in the disputed area pending proper verification of ownership claims.

He further commended the Oyo State Commissioner of Police, Mr Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbenga, for deploying security personnel to the community and preventing the situation from escalating into violence.

Mogaji Oloyin, who spoke during the meeting, maintained that the disputed land belonged to his family through inheritance.

He also insisted that he possessed a valid court judgment and survey plan backing his claim.

According to him, efforts to engage affected landlords in dialogue before the enforcement exercise began were unsuccessful.

However, spokesperson for the Isokan community, Mr Isiaq Olatunji, told the monarch that residents had been living in fear since rooftops and fences of some buildings were pulled down.

He said: “Apart from the rooftops removed, some house fences have also been pulled down, leaving residents in fear.”

Olatunji warned that neighbouring communities, including Alausa, Aromokun and Oluyedun, which were allegedly not covered by the court judgment, were also under threat.

He added: “Unless Kabiyesi intervenes, we may be displaced unjustly.”

According to stakeholders at the meeting, fears remain that more than 400 houses could eventually be affected if the dispute is not resolved.

The development comes months after the Olubadan inaugurated a five-member committee on land grabbing and related offences in Ibadan.

The committee later submitted recommendations for stronger legal measures and accelerated hearings for land-related disputes across the city.