Healthcare workers at the Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital Enugu have commenced an indefinite strike over what unions described as unfair promotion practices and poor welfare treatment by the hospital management.
The industrial action, which began on May 19, 2026, followed the expiration of a 21-day ultimatum issued to the hospital management by joint unions in the health sector.
Speaking to our correspondent shortly after the strike was declared, the Chairman of the Nigeria Union of Allied Health Professionals in Enugu State, Mr. Benneth Asogwa, accused the hospital management led by Dr. Ngozi Unaogu of failing to address workers’ welfare concerns, particularly issues surrounding staff promotion.
According to Asogwa, the hospital conducted promotion interviews and examinations for eligible staff, but eventually retained many workers on the same salary grade levels despite announcing that they had been promoted.
“They released a circular on promotion, conducted interviews, people wrote promotion examinations and passed, but they were still retained on the same salary scale,” he said.
Explaining the controversy, Asogwa stated that workers who expected advancement to higher levels after years of service were instead subjected to what management described as “same scale promotion.”
“What it implies is that somebody on CONHES 12 Step 3, for example, is told he has been promoted, but still remains on the same CONHES 12 Step 3. Workers do not understand how somebody will spend years on a level, qualify for promotion, go through rigorous interviews and examinations, and still remain on the same level,” he said.
“So what is the essence of the promotion?” he asked.
He disclosed that the issue was raised repeatedly with management, but no satisfactory action was taken before the expiration of the ultimatum issued by the joint unions.
The unions involved in the action include the National Association of Nigerian Nurses and Midwives, the Nigeria Union of Allied Health Professionals, the Medical and Health Workers Union, and the Senior Staff Association.
Asogwa noted that management attributed the controversial promotion policy to a directive from the Federal Government, but argued that other federal health institutions had resolved similar disputes without triggering industrial action.
“They are saying it is a directive from the Federal Government, but we know quite well that the same issue came up in some hospitals and was resolved. Even hospitals in Enugu like the Orthopaedic Hospital addressed it and did the right thing,” he stated.
He warned that the policy was reviving a labour dispute that caused industrial unrest in the health sector over a decade ago.
“These people are bringing back an issue that caused industrial disharmony over 10 years ago and imposing it again on workers,” he added.
The union leader stressed that health workers were reluctant to embark on strike because of the impact on patients and healthcare delivery but insisted that the action would continue until the matter was resolved.
“No health professional likes going on strike because we know the implications. Anytime healthcare workers down tools, a lot of issues come up because it concerns human lives,” Asogwa said.
“The strike is indefinite and it will continue until the issue is addressed. We are hoping they will address it quickly because it has to do with lives,” he added.
All efforts to contact the Medical Director of the Hospital, Dr. Unaogu for reactions failed as she’s yet to respond to calls and messages sent to her known mobile line
The Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital, Enugu, remains the only specialised neuropsychiatric hospital serving the entire South-East region. The indefinite shutdown is expected to significantly affect mental health services, patient care, emergency response, and access to psychiatric treatment for thousands of patients across the region.

